- This article is about the architectural element. For the rock band, see The Doors.
The front door of a house is often decorated to frnch door appear inviting.
A door is a generally floor-length opening in a wall (or other french dooor partition), often equipped with a hinged or sliding panel which can be french doors moved to leave the opening accessible, or to close it more or less securely. Doors are nearly exterior french door universal in structures of all kinds (especially houses and other buildings), allowing passage between inside exterior french doors and outside, or among internal rooms. french patio doors Doors are also found in vehicles, cupboards, cages, etc.
The purpose of a door opening french door is:
- to allow people, animals and objects to pass
- for ventilation
The purpose of a door closure is:
- preventing passage of air; reducing air drafts and french door refrigerators creating an enclosed space that french door hardware can be heated or cooled more effectively (revolving doors are especially efficient french door refrigerator for this purpose)
- privacy and noise reduction
- keeping occupants inside a vehicle
- regulation of french doors cristal desing access, especially when combined with various types of locks
- for aesthetics (e.g. cupboard doors cutting off view of the french door screens contents)
- to help prevent the spread of fire
Doors and doorways can also appear in metaphorical or mystical folding french doors situations; for example, a spiritualist might speak of "opening a door to the other world". Doors can french glass patio doors have ritual purposes (one exterior iron and glass french doors example concerns the doorkeeping duties of the Gentleman Usher of the Black french door curtains Rod).
The term door can refer either to the opening or to the movable panel or panels which closes it. french patio door The term doorway can be used to refer specifically to the opening. When framed in maytag french door refrigerator wood for snug fitting of a door, the doorway consists of two vertical jambs on patio french doors either side, a lintel or head jamb at french door panels the top, and perhaps a threshold at the bottom. When a door has more than exterior french patio doors one movable panel, one of the panels may be called a leaf.
See door 15 x 80 french doors furniture for a discussion of attachments to doors such how to install french doors as doorhandles and doorknobs.
- 1 Types of doors
- 2 Door pella french doors components
- 3 Door sliding french doors construction
- 4 History
- 5 See also
- 6 External links
Types of curtains for french doors doors
A decorated door from the Tibetan Namdroling monastery, southern India.
A door may slide or rotate. Sometimes a door, though not satin aluminum french patio doors just sliding, stays parallel to the wall decorating ideas for french doors while opening and closing.
Sliding is usually horizontal. In opened position the door may be kenmore french door refrigerator exposed on one side; a person leaning on that side when the door is closed, can be hurt when the door retractable screens for french doors is opened. Also an object can obstruct french door window covering the door. Sometimes the door is constructed such that in closed state the sliding italy french door bottom freezer refrigerator door forms a smooth continuation of the wall, e.g. in 9' french doors the case of a sliding side door of a anderson french patio doors vehicle.
The door may also slide between two panels (pocket door).
In the case of rotation, the axis of rotation is usually vertical, french doors and windows but e.g. for garage doors often horizontal, above the door opening. patio door french pet Sometimes the axis of rotation is, with a special construction, not in the plane of the door, on the screens for french doors other side than that in which the door opens, to reduce the space wood french door required on the side to which the door opens. This anderson french doors windows is sometimes the case in a train, for the door to the toilet, opening inward.
Many kinds french door replacement of doors have specific window coverings for french door names, depending on their purpose. The most common variety of door consists of a wood accessories above french doors single rigid panel that fills the doorway, hinged along one side so that it can fold away from the andersen french doors doorway in one direction but not in the other. Many benchmark french doors variations on this basic design are possible, such as "double" doors that beveled door french glass have two adjacent independent panels hinged on each side of the doorway.
A trapdoor is installing french doors a door that is oriented horizontally in a floor metal french doors or ceiling, often accessed via a ladder.
A stable door is divided in half horizontally. 4'x6'8 exterior french doors The top half can be opened to allow 60x80 french door the horse to be fed, while the bottom half can be closed to keep the animal inside. Stable doors are also known as dutch doors.
A swing door has alabama door french kenmore refrigerator aluminum french doors special hinges that allow it to open either outwards or inwards, and is usually sprung to keep anderson french doors it closed. Saloon doors are a pair of lightweight swing doors often found maytag? 25 cu. ft. french door bottom freezer refrigerator in public bars. Saloon doors, also known as cafe doors, often window treatments velcro french doors use double action hinges, which will return the door to the center, regardless of french door bottom freezer refrigerator which direction it is opened, due to the double french door curtain action springs in the doors.
A blind door is a door with no passage, a 'fake' door french door refridgerator that is actually part of the wall. It is used french doors for sale for decorative purposes.
An up-and-over door is often used in garages. Instead of hinges it has a mechanism, french exterior doors steel often counterbalanced or sprung, that allows it to be lifted so that it rests horizontally above the opening. how to bulid a french door frame Also known as an installing a french door overhead door.
A barn door is a door on a barn. It is often/always found on barns, and because of a barn's immense size (often) doors pictures of family rooms with french doors are subsequently big for utility.
A French door is which way should french doors open a door that has multiple lights, the full length of the window coverings for french doors door. Traditional French doors are assembled from belgium bottom door freezer french refrigerator individual small pieces of glass and mullions. These doors are also known as buy internal french doors s wales uk true divided lite french doors. French doors made of double-pane glass (on exterior door french frosted bifold doors for insulation reasons) may have the decorative grill embedded between the panes, or may also be true divided lite french doors. The decorative grill may french door installation french door plaques for bathroom also be superimposed on top of single pane of glass in the door.
A louver door has fixed or movable wooden fins (often called french floral door bells slats or louvers) which permit open ventilation whilst preserving privacy and preventing the passage of light french glass doors to the interior. Being patio door french relatively weak structures, they are most commonly used for wardrobes schlage accents french door escutcheon and drying rooms, where security is of less importance than good ventilation, although a very similar structure is commonly used to form window window treatment for french doors shutters.
A flush door is a completely smooth, panelled door, having plywood or MDF fixed over 18 x 80 french doors a light timber frame, the hollow parts of which bifold french doors are often filled with a cardboard core material. french door locks Flush doors are most commonly employed in the interior of a dwelling, french door refrigerator to fit 68 x 36 opening although slightly more substantial versions are occasionally used as exterior french door wine racks doors, especially within hotels and other buildings containing many independent dwellings.
A ledge and brace door is a french door with pet door made from multiple vertical planks fixed together by two horizontal planks french windows and patio doors uk (the ledges) and kept square by a diagonal plank (the ives french door bolt brace).
Mechanism of the sliding door of a lift
A garden door is any door that opens to a mini blinds for french doors garden or backyard. It is often used specifically for double French doors north carolina door french kenmore refrigerator in place of a sliding glass reliabilt french doors door. In such a configuration, it has the advantage of a very saskatchewan kenmore french door refrigerator large opening for moving large objects in and out.
A pet door is an opening in a door to allow pets to enter and sliding french door exit without the main door being opened. It may 16 exterior french doors be simply covered by a rubber flap or it 25 cu ft maytag french door bottom freezer may be an actual door hinged on the top that the pet best covering for french doors can push through. Pet doors may be mounted in a sliding glass door as a comparison of french door refrigerators new (permanent or temporary) panel. Pet doors may be unidirectional, only allowing pets to fine finish french windows and doors exit. Pet doors may be electronic, only allowing pets french door curtain panels with a special electronic tag to enter.
A bifold door is door unit that has 2 to 4 sections, folding in pairs. french door handles The doors can open from either side for one pair, or fold off both sides french door stainless steel refrigertor for two pairs. Wood french door window treatment ideas is the most common material, and doors may also be metal or glass. Bifolds are most commonly made for closets, but french doors area room ceilings lot back may also be used as units between rooms.
A bypass door is a door unit that french doors that slide open has 2 or interior french doors with buit in blinds more sections. The doors can slide from each direction on an overhead track, sliding past each other. They are most commonly kenmore elite counter depth french door refrigerator used in closets, in order to access one side of the masonite french doors closet at a time. The doors mini french door in a bypass unit will overlap slightly, in order not to have a mirrored french doors gap between them.
A pocket door is a door that slides on rails, rather than swinging on hinges, and, when opened, slides into pella french door an open pocket french doors cavity within a wall.
A sliding glass door is a door made of glass refrigerator reviews french door that slides open and sometimes has a screen. Sliding glass doors are common in many houses, particularly as replacement french doors an entrance to the backyard. Such doors are also popular for replacement windows french door use for the entrances to commercial structures.
An ambulance door is a back door for sliding french patio door a truck or van which consists of two full-height double doors which open steel french doors outward from the center. Other types of door options for these vehicles are roll up doors, windows and french doors hatchback doors and tailgates.
A revolving door is a type of door that 10 light interior french doors typically consists of a structure with three or four panels that meet 16 french doors in the center and rotate one way about a vertical axis (sometimes 6' french patio door the movement is not in a circle, but following a more complicated amana french door refrigerator path, a combination of rotation and translation). Between the point of access and the point of exit the user anderson french door walks between two moving panels. The door may be motorized or arched french doors the user needs to push the front arched top french door panel, and the space between two panels may be designed for multiple users or a bifolding french doors single one. This door design is used primarily bottom freezer french door refrigerator to maintain an air seal from the outside, thus minimizing leaking of climate controlled air from the building and the curtians for french doors resulting expense of compensating for the loss. This type of door is also often seen as discount french doors a mark of prestige and glamour for a building door french and it not unusual for neighbouring buildings to install their own revolving doors when a rival building door french lg lrfc25750 refrigerator gets one.
Automatic doors are powered open and closed, a door external french doors and windows fitted with a spring to close it is not an automatic framing french doors door. There are three methods by which an automatic door is activated.
1 - A sensor detects traffic is approaching. Sensors for frank lloyd wright french doors automatic doors are generally:
- A pressure french door drapes sensor - a floor mat which reacts to the pressure of someone french door ovens standing on it.
- An infra-red curtain or beam which shines invisible light onto french door refridgerators sensors; if someone or something blocks the beam the door can french door refrigerator bottom freezer open.
- A motion sensor which uses low-power microwave radar.
- An electronic sensor (e.g. based french door refrigerator reviews on infra red or radio waves) can be triggered by something that someone carries, or is installed inside french door replacement parts a vehicle. These are popular for garage doors.
2 - A switch is french doors exterior operated manualy, perhaps after security checks. This can be a push button switch or a swipe card.
3 - The user french doors with mini blinds pushes, or pulls the door, once the door french sliding glass door detects the movement it completes the open and close cycle. These are french sliding patio doors also known as power-assisted doors.
In addition to activate sensors automatic doors are ge french door refrigerator generally fitted with safety sensors. These are usually an infra-red curtain or beam, but can be a pressure mat glass french doors fitted on the swing side of the door. The purpose of the safety how to hang french doors sensor is to prevent the door opening or slow its speed if an object how to refinish an exterior french door is detected in its path whilst opening lowes french door and to prevent the door closing or reactivate it if an object quebec door french kenmore refrigerator is detected in its path whilst closing.
Heron of Alexandria created the first automatic remodeling and french doors door.
Blast-proof doors, nuclear-blast proof doors, etc.
A tambour door is made of narrow horizontal slats and rolls up and down along vertical replacement glass for french doors tracks and is typically found in entertainment centres and cabinets.
A diagram illustrating the components of a panel door
velcro french door window panel + sage
A typical peephole in a door, allowing the person to see who is outside the door without opening it.
- Lintel - window treatments 2f french doors A horizontal beam above a 9' french patio doors door that supports the wall above it. (Also known as a header)
- Jambs - The andersen new sliding french door vertical posts that form the sides of a door frame, where arkansas french door bottom freezer refrigerator the hinges are mounted, and with which the bolt interacts.
- Sill - bay french door window treatment A horizontal beam below the door that supports the blinds and shades for patio and french doors frame
- Doorstop - a thin slat built inside the frame to prevent a door from swinging through bottom door freezer french refrigerator when closed, which might break the hinges.
- Architrave - The decorative molding that outlines a door frame. (called an Archivolt if the door build snap on grille for french doors is arched). Called door casing or build snap on panels for french doors brickmold in North America.
- Doorknob - A knob or lever counter depth french door refrigerator on an axle that is rotated to release the bolt.
- Door Handle - A czech republic door french kenmore refrigerator fixed handle, usually accompanied with a latch to release the bolt, on some doors (such as car doors) the latch is discount exterior french doors incorporated into a hinged handle that releases when pulled door french prehung on. A handleset is composed of the exterior handle (including escutcheon), enclosed blinds for french doors an independent deadbolt, and the interior package (knob or lever)
- Crash bar - A spring-loaded bar that is mounted horizontally exterior fiberglass single french door on the side of the door that opens outward. When pushed upon, the bolt exterior wood &vinyl french doors is released. This device is mandatory in most fire exits. fiberglass french doors 8 foot Many of these doors are one-way, and cannot be opened from the outside. french & patio doors suppliers in georgia To use this device on a two-way door, french bifold doors another type of handle must be mounted on the opposite french door glass replacement side. (Also known as a "panic bar" or "cross-bar")
- Latch - A device that allows one to fasten a door, but doesn't necessarily require an external french door hardware i handle
- Lock - french door locks uk A device that prevents access by those without a key or combination.
- Bolt - A (nearly always) metal shaft usually internal to the french door manufactuers door that extends into the jamb to fasten a door.
- Latchbolt - A bolt french door oven that has an angled surface which acts as a french door refrigerator ice dispenser ramp to push the bolt in while the french door replacement hardware door is being closed. By the use of a latchbolt, a door can french door replacement optionsw be closed without having to operate the handle.
- Deadbolt - Deadbolts usually extend deeper into the frame french door sliding screens and are not automatically retractable the way latchbolts are. They are typically manipulated with a lock on the outside and french door snap on panels either a lock or a french door stem extender latch on the inside. Deadbolts are generally used for security purposes on external doors.
- Strike - A plate with a hole in the french doors + fiberglass middle made to receive a bolt. If the strike is for a french doors fiberglass retail texas latchbolt, it typically also includes a small ramped area to help the bolt french doors for sale in minnesota move inward while the door is being closed. french doors prado (Also known as a "strikeplate")
- Crossbar - A historically common, but now french doors with screens obsolete and overly primitive fastener consisting simply of a plank french doors with top screens or beam mounted to one side of a door by a set of cleats. The board can be slid french exterior doors 8 ' past the frame to block the door. Alternatively, the bar can be a french patio door with blind separate piece that is placed into open cleats or hooks, extending across the frame on both sides. On a french patio doors with sun shades set of double doors, the same principle works, but needn't extend past the french sliding glass doors frame. The bar simply extends into another set of cleats germany bottom door freezer french refrigerator on the other door such glass and iron french doors as to interfere with the door opening. Note that this device is essentially the opposite of the crash bar (see houston french door co above), in that it effectively makes how to install roman shades french doors the door one-way when in use. (Also known as a bolt note the polysemy with bolt and cross how to remove a sliding patio door and install french doors bar above)
- Hinge - A component that attaches one edge of a installing a french door in the wall door to the frame, while allowing the other installing exterior french doors edge to swing from it. It usually consists of a pair of plates, each jenn air french door cabinet depth stainless with a set of open cylindrical rings (the knuckles) attached to them. lithuania bottom door freezer french refrigerator The knuckles of the two plates are offset from each other and mesh together. A hinge pin masonite exterior french doors with grids is then placed through the two sets of knuckles and usually maytag french door bottom freezer refrigerator fixed, to combine the plates and make the hinge a single unit. One door usually has about three hinges, but it can vary.
Panel Doors (A outside screens french doors door built with Frame and panel , construction, Also called Stile and Rail Doors):
- Stiles - Vertical boards that run the over the door french memo board mirror full height of a door and compose its right and patio french doors for sale left edges. The hinges are mounted to the fixed side (known as the "hanging patio french sliding doors stile"), and the handle, lock, bolt, and/or latch are mounted on the swinging side (known as problems with amana french door refridgerator the "latch stile").
- Rails - Horizontal boards at the top, bottom, refrigerator french door and optionally in the reliabilt french door middle of a door that joins the two stiles and split the door into two or more rows of panels. The "top rail" replacing a french door with a slider and "bottom review lg french door refrigerator rail" are named for their positions. The bottom rail is also known as saskatchewan door french kenmore refrigerator "kick rail". A middle rail at the height of the bolt is known as the "lock rail", other middle rails are single exterior french door fiberglass commonly known as "cross rails".
- Mullions - Smaller optional vertical boards that run between two rails, and steel french patio doors split the door into two or more columns velcro top french door panel of panels.
- Panels - Large, wider boards used to fill the space between the stiles, rails, and mullions. The panels white french doors typically fit into grooves in the other pieces, and help to keep the door wood french doors rigid. Panels may be flat, or in raised panel designs.
- Lites - Pieces of 5' french doors glass used in place of a andersen door french panel, essentially giving the door a window. (also known as a "lights")
Plank & Batten Doors (An older design consisting andersen door french gliding primarily of vertical slats):
- Planks - Vertical boards that extend the full height of anderson french door replacement screen the door, and arched french doors 5' are placed side by side filling the door's width.
- Battens - Smaller slats austria door french kenmore refrigerator that extend horizontally across the door which the planks are affixed to. The battens hold the planks together. Sometimes a belgium door french kenmore refrigerator long diagonal slat or two are also implemented to prevent best french door refrigerator the door from skewing. On some doors, especially antique ones, the battens are replaced with iron best inexpensive french door bars that are often built closet door french into the hinges as extensions of the door-side plates.
Flush Doors (many modern doors, including most interior doors):
- Stiles and closets with french doors Rails - As above, but usually smaller. They form the outside edges of the door.
- Core material: Material within codel entry systems french doors the door used construction, french door simply to fill space, provide rigidity and reduce druminess.
- Hollow-Core - Often consists of a Lattice or Honeycomb made of corrugated cardboard, or counter depth french door bottom freezer refridgerator thin wooden slats. Can also be built with staggered wooden blocks. Hollow-core flush doors are commonly counter depth french door refridgerator used as interior doors.
- Lock block - A solid block of wood mounted within a counter depth french door refrigerators curtain ideas for french doors hollow-core flush door near the bolt to provide a solid and stable location for mounting the door's hardware.
- Stave-Core - Consists of wooden slats stacked curtain rods for french doors upon one another in a manner similar to a plank & doors with french awning windows batten door (though the slats are usually thinner) or the wooden-block hollow-core (except that the fiberglass french doors space is entirely filled).
- Solid-Core - Can consist of low-density Particle board or foldaway lanai french doors Foam used to completely fill the space within the folding french doors and interior door. Solid-core flush doors (especially foam-core ones) are commonly used as exterior doors because they provide more insulation and folding french doors uk strength.
- Skin - The front and back faces of the french door + curtain + ideas door are then covered with wood veneer, thin plywood, sheet metal, french door closets fiberglass, or vinyl. The wooden materials are usually layered with the grain alternating direction between layers to prevent warping. french door convection oven The skin of a french door coverings flush door is sometimes molded (in the case of metal, fiberglass, or vinyl), french door curtain rods or molding can be added (to wood) to give the appearance of a panel door, french door fridge though the construction underneath differs greatly.
Door swing directions diagram.
Door swings, or handing, are always determined from french door security lock the outside (ie. outside to inside, or public to private).
- Left Hand (LH): If the hinges french door valance hardware are on the left and the door opens in, it's a left hand door. You push the french door with mini blinds door with your left hand.
- Right Hand french doors and frames (RH): If the hinges are on the right and the door opens in, it's a french doors bottom freezer right hand door. You push the door with your right hand.
- Left Hand Reverse (LHR): If the hinges are on french doors cheap the left and the door opens french doors exterior long island new york out, it's a left hand reverse door. You pull the door with your left hand.
- Right Hand Reverse (RHR): If the hinges are french doors in stock on the french doors in the east bay area right and the door opens out, it's a right hand reverse door. You pull the door with your right hand.
Another way to determine door french doors inside "handing" is to imagine yourself standing in the doorway with your back against french doors patio the hinges. Swing your right or left arm french double doors for a house in the way that the door swings. If you swing your left arm then french padio doors the door is left handed. Swing your right arm and it is right handed. This method does french storm doors not require a french style sliding patio door reference such as "from the outside" or "from the inside".
An old door, Kashan, Iran
The earliest records are those represented in the paintings of the Egyptian tombs, hinged anderson french patio doors in which they are how to build french doors shown as single or double doors, each in a single piece of wood. In ideas for curtains for french doors Egypt, where the climate is intensely dry, there would be no fear of their warping, but in inside french center hinged door other countries it would be install french doors necessary to frame them, which according to Vitruvius (iv. 6.) was done with stiles install maytag refrigerator, french door (sea/si) and rails (see: Frame and panel): the spaces enclosed being filled jeld-wen french door with panels (tympana) let into grooves made in the stiles and rails. The stiles were the vertical boards, one of which, tenoned or hinged, is known kitchen oven with french doors as the hanging stile, the other as the middle leaded glass french doors or meeting stile. The horizontal cross pieces are the top rail, leaded glass interior french door bottom rail, and middle or intermediate rails. The most ancient doors were in timber, those made for King lighted glass panel french doors Solomon's temple being in olive wood (I Kings vi. 31-35), which were carved maytag french door refrigerators and overlaid with gold. The doors dwelt upon in Homer would appear patio door replacement french to have been cased in pinecroft french door silver or brass. Besides Olive wood, elm, cedar, oak and prehung french doors cypress were used.
All ancient problems with amana french door refridgerators doors were hung by pivots at the top and bottom of the hanging stile which worked in sockets in the rate french door refrigerator lintel and sill, the latter being always in some hard stone such as rating french door bottom freezer refrigerators basalt or granite. Those found at Nippur reviews french patio doors by Dr. Hilprecht, dating from 2000 B.C. were in dolerite. The tenons of the gates at Balawat were sheathed with bronze (now in safe french doors for home the British Museum). These doors or self closing aluminum french doors gates were hung in two leaves, each about 8 ft.4 in. wide and stainless steel french door refrigerator 27 ft. high; they were encased with bronze bands or strips, 10 in. high, covered with repouss decoration of steel exterior french door comparison figures, etc. The wood doors would seem to have teak french doors been about 3 in. thick, but the hanging stile thermador french door refrigerator was over 14 inches diameter. Other sheathings of various sizes in bronze have been found, which proves this to too high threshold french doors have been the universal unfinished french wood door method adopted to protect the wood pivots. In the Hauran in Syria, where timber is scarce the doors were made in stone, and one measuring united states french door bottom freezer refrigerator 5 ft. 4 in. by 2 ft. 7 in. where can i purchase french doors is in the British Museum; the band on window coverings french doors the meeting stile shows that it was one of the leaves of a double door. window treatment for french door At Kuffeir near Bostra in Syria, Burckhardt found stone doors, 9 to 10 ft. window treatment metal french door magnet roman high, being the entrance doors of the town. In Etruria many stone doors wood curtain rods for french doors are referred to by Dennis.
The ancient Greek and Roman doors were either single doors , double doors 13/8 inch 15 lite french doors or folding doors, 24 6 panel french doors interior particalboard in the last case the leaves were hinged and folded back. In Eumachia, is a painting of a door 24 depth french door refrigerator with three leaves. In the tomb of Theron at Agrigentum there is a single four-panel door carved in 32 french door stone. In the 36 wide counter depth french door refrigerator Blundell collection is a bas-relief of a temple with double doors, each leaf with five panels. Among 42 counter-depth french door refrigerator existing examples, the bronze doors in the church of SS. Cosmas and Damiano, in Rome, 48 patio french door san jose are important examples of Roman metal work of the best period; they are in 48' french doors for sale two leaves, each with two panels, and are 5 foot french door exterior framed in bronze. Those of the Pantheon are similar in design, with narrow horizontal panels in 8 french doors addition, at the top, bottom and middle. Two other bronze doors of 8 light french door the Roman period are in the Lateran Basilica.
The doors of the church of the Nativity 8ft french door wood at Bethlehem (6th century) are covered with plates of bronze, cut out in afg patio french doors patterns:
An old door, Isfahan, amana french door refrig Iran
those of Hagia Sophia at Constantinople, of the 8th and anderson exterior french door 9th century, are wrought in bronze, and the west doors of the anderson exterior french doors cathedral of Aix-la-Chapelle (9th century), of similar manufacture, were probably brought from Constantinople, as also some of those in arched flat top french door St. Marks, Venice.
Of the 11th and arkansas door french kenmore refrigerator 12th centuries there are numerous examples of bronze doors, the earliest being one at Hildesheim, Germany (1015). Of others in basement window wells- french doors South Italy and Sicily, the following are the finest: in Sant Andrea, Amalfi (1060); Salerno (1099); Canosa (1111); bifold exterior french doors Troia, two doors (1119 and 1124); Ravello (1179), by Barisano of Trani, who bifold french door also bilt best rolling french door made doors for Trani cathedral; and in Monreale and Pisa cathedrals, by Bonano of Pisa. blinds and glass attachment for patio french door In all these cases the hanging stile had pivots at the top and bottom. The exact period when blinds for french patio doors the hinge was substituted is not builders that carry french doors in east bay area quite known, but the change apparently brought about another method of strengthening and buy pocket glass french doors decorating doors, viz, with wrought-iron bands of infinite varieties of design. As a rule cabinet depth refrigerator french door water dispenser three bands from which the ornamental work springs constitute the hinges, which have rings outside cheep vinal french doors ma the hanging stiles fitting on to vertical tenons run into the masonry or wooden frame. There cooking ovens with french doors is an early example of the 12th century in Lincoln; in France the metal work custom size 17 french doors of the doors of Notre Dame at Paris is perhaps the most beautiful in execution, cyprus kenmore french door refrigerator but examples are endless throughout dollhouse miniature french colonial strap door hinges France and England.
Returning to Italy, the most celebrated doors are those of the Battistero di San Giovanni (Florence), which door french glass together with the door frames are all door french installing in bronze, the borders of the latter being perhaps the most door french lock remarkable: the modeling of the figures, birds and foliage of the south doorway, by Andrea Pisano (1330), and of the east doorway door french manufacturer by Ghiberti (1425-1452), are of great beauty; in the north door (1402-1424) door french maytag refrigerator Ghiberti adopted the same scheme of design for the paneling and figure door french refrigerator subjects in them as Andrea Pisano, but in the draperies for french doors east door the rectangular panels are all filled, with bas-reliefs, in which Scripture subjects are illustrated with innumerable figures, these being probably estonia door french kenmore refrigerator the european exterior french door gates of Paradise of which Michelangelo speaks.
The doors of the mosques in Cairo were of two kinds; those which, externally, were european french doors cased with sheets of bronze or iron, cut out in exterior anderson french doors new york long island decorative patterns, and incised or inlaid, with bosses in relief; and those in wood, which exterior french door design discount styles steel were framed with interlaced designs of the square and diamond, this latter description of work being Coptic in its exterior french door manufacturing companies in philadelphia origin. The doors of the palace at exterior french door review Palermo, which were made by Saracenic workmen for the Normans, are fine examples and exterior french door units in good preservation. A somewhat similar decorative class of door to these exterior french doors and steel latter is found in Verona, where the edges of the stiles and rails are exterior french doors new york long island beveled and notched.
In the Renaissance period the faux french door window film Italian doors are quite simple, their architects trusting more to the doorways for effect; but in fiberglass french door France and Germany the contrary is the case, the doors being elaborately carved, especially florida french door bottom freezer refrigerator in the Louis XIV and Louis XV periods, and four foot french doors with arched windows at top sometimes with architectural features such as columns and entablatures with pediment and niches, the doorway being in plain masonry. framin french doors While in Italy the tendency was to give scale by increasing the number of panels, in France the french and patio doors contrary seems to french door acessories have been the rule; and one of the great doors at Fontainebleau, which is in two leaves, is french door and arch window entirely carried out as if consisting french door counter depth refrigerator of one great panel only.
The earliest Renaissance doors in France are those of the cathedral of St. Sauveur at french door dealers Aix (1503); in the lower panels there french door hurricane panels are figures 3 ft. high in Gothic niches, and in the upper panels a double range of niches with figures about french door install 2 ft. high with canopies over them, french door latch all carved in cedar. The south door of Beauvais cathedral is in some french door refrigerator at lowes respects the finest in France; the upper panels are carved in high relief with french door refrigerator counter depth figure subjects and canopies over them. The doors of the church at Gisors (1575) french door refrigerator with in door dispenser are carved with figures in niches subdivided by classic pilasters superimposed. french door refrigerators 68 inches high In St. Maclou at Rouen are three magnificently carved doors; those by Jean Goujon have figures in niches on each side, and others french door refrigirator in a group of great beauty in the center. The other doors, probably french door replace about forty to fifty years later, are enriched with bas-reliefs, landscapes, french door review figures and elaborate interlaced borders.
In England french door romanshades in the 17th century the door panels were raised with bolection or projecting moldings, sometimes richly carved, round them; in french door tilt and turn blinds the 18th century the moldings worked on the stiles and rails were carved french door window coverings with the egg and tongue ornament.
- The oldest door in England can be found in french door window film Westminster Abbey and dates french door window moulding from 1050. 
- Door safety
- "Suicide door"
- Janus, Roman god of doors
Look up Door in
Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
- US 2,724,258 -- Fire exit lock
- Historic Doors - french door windows Glossary
This article incorporates text from the Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition, a french doors and frames houston publication now in the public domain.
french doors pocket french doors retractable screens french doors shutters french doors sliding french doors with side lights french exterior doors french front doors french memo board with over the door mirror french patio doors & atlanta french patio doors for sale in austin texas french pocket doors gaskets in french door refrigerators ge bottom freezer french door refrigerator germany door french kenmore refrigerator hardware french doors home office french door and overhead window
Categories: Wikipedia articles incorporating french doors millwork text from the 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica | Architectural elements | Doors