For other uses, see Paint (disambiguation).
Paint is the general term for a family of products house paint used to protect and add color to an object or surface by covering it with a pigmented coating. As exterior house paint a verb, painting is the application interior house paint of paint. Someone who paints artistically is usually called a painter, while someone who paints commercially is often referred to as house paint colors a painter and decorator.
Paint can be applied how to paint a house to almost any kind of object. It is used, among many other uses, in the production of art, in industrial coating, best exterior house paint as a driving aid (lane markings), or as a preservative exterior house paint color (to prevent corrosion or water damage). Paint is a semifinished product, as the final product house of kolor paint is the painted article itself.
- 1 Components
- 2 Art
- 3 Pigment
- 4 Application
- 5 Product house paint ratings variants
- 6 History
- 7 See also
- 8 External how to paint a bird house links
There are several primary components to a paint: binder, pigment, filler, diluent, and additives. best interior house paint However, only the binder is absolutely required. The binder is the how to paint your house part which eventually solidifies to form the dried paint doll house paint film. Pigments give a color to a paint. Pigments may also have the same functions as fillers: increase the thickness and hardness of the glidden endurance house paints film and adjust the coloring power and paint my house opacity. The diluent serves to adjust the how to paint a house exterior viscosity of the paint. It is volatile and does not become part of virtual house paint the paint film. There are various additives, which components that are added in small house paint brands amounts to improve some property, such as color opacity and matness, pigment dispersion, or stability.
Typical binders include synthetic or natural resins such as house paint reviews acrylics, polyurethanes, polyesters, melamines, epoxy, or oils. Binders can be categorized into three what is the best exterior house paint sorts: those that dry, those that cure when they dry, and those that can i paint vinyl siding on my house do not depend on drying for car house kolor paint curing. Paints that dry contain a solid binder dissolved in a solvent; this forms a solid film when the solvent evaporates, and remove house paint the film can dissolve in 152 aqua borne ceramic acrylic soft gloss house paint the solvent again. Latex paints, for example, cure irreversibly when they exterior house paint comparison dry, since they undergo polymerization into irreversibly bound networked structures, so that the house of color paint paint will not redissolve in the solvent. Recent environmental protection requirements discourage the use house of paint of evaporating solvents (VOCs), and alternative means of curing have been developed, house paint schemes particularly for industrial purposes. Epoxy coating, for example, is applied by mixing paint and hardener, which cure house paint sprayers by forming a hard plastic structure. paint house Such paints do not, strictly speaking, "dry" at all, but harden. In UV curing paints, the solvent is evaporated acrylic house paint first, and hardening is then initiated by ultraviolet light.
Typical diluents car colors house paint include organic solvents such as petroleum distillate, alcohols, ketones, esters, glycol ethers, and the like. house of colors paint Water is a common diluent. Sometimes volatile low-molecular weight synthetic resins also house paint sprayer serve as diluents.
Fillers serve to thicken the film, support its structure and simply increase the volume of the paint. Not all intermediate level science fair projects using house paint paints include fillers. behr house paint Pigments that also function as fillers are called simply "pigments"; "fillers" are generally color-neutral and opaque. It is necessary to craft house paint by numbers adjust the resulting off-white color with pigments to give the desired color. Common fillers house beautiful paint are cheap and inert, house exterior paint colors such as talc, lime, baryte, clay, etc. Depending on the paint, most of the paint film may house of colors car paint consist of pigment/filler and binder, the rest being additives.
Typical additives house paint color include pigments, dyes, catalysts, thickeners, stabilizers, emulsifiers, texturizers, adhesion promoters, flatteners (de-glossing agents), and the like.
After application, the paint house paint primer solidifies and becomes tack-free. Depending on the type of binder, this hardening may be a result house paint review of curing (polymerization), evaporation, house paint samples or even cooling. In oil-based paint, curing takes the form of oxidation, for example oxidation of linseed how to spray paint a house oil to form linoxin to create a varnish. Other common insulating house paint cured films are prepared from crosslinkers, such as polyurethane or melamine resins, reacted bird house paint with acrylic polyester or polyurethane resins, often in the presence of a catalyst which serves to exterior house paint scheme make the curing reaction proceed more quickly or under milder conditions. house interior paint These cured-film paints can be either solvent-borne or waterborne.
Latex paint house of kolor car paint is a water-based emulsion of solid monomers. The term "latex" in the context of paint simply house of kolor paint chips means a water emulsion; latex rubber (the sap of the rubber house of kolors paint tree that has historically been called latex) is not an ingredient. When the water evaporates, house paint companies the monomer undergoes emulsion polymerization to form a solid film. The polymer itself house paint cost resists water (and typically some other solvents). Residual surfactants in the paint as well as hydrolytic house paint sample effects with some polymers cause the paint to remain susceptible to softening and, how much does it cost to paint a house over time, degradation by water.
Still other films are formed by cooling of the paint a house binder. For example, encaustic or wax paints are liquid when warm, and harden upon cooling.
- Main article: Painting
There is a wide house kolor paint variety of artists' paints available for the professional or amateur artist.
Since the time house of kolor custom paint idea of the Renaissance, siccative (drying) oil paints, primarily linseed oil, have been the most commonly used house paint manufacturers kind of paints in fine art applications; oil paint house paint rating is still common today. However, in the 20th century, water-based paints, including watercolors and acrylic paints, became house paint virtual very popular with the development of acrylic and other house paint wall latex paints. Milk paints (also called casein), where the medium is derived from the natural emulsion that is milk, were popular in the paint your house 19th century and are still available today. Egg paint your own brick house tempera (where the medium is an emulsion of egg yolk mixed with oil) is ceramic house paint still in use as well, color chart for house paint as are encaustic wax-based paints. Gouache is a variety of watercolor paint which was also cost to paint house exterior used in the Middle Ages and Renaissance for manuscript illumination. The pigment was often made from dupont house paint ground semiprecious stones such as lapis lazuli and the binder example quotes paint interior exterior house made from either gum arabic or egg white. Gouache is commercially available today.
Poster paint has been used primarily in the exterior house idea paint creation of student works, or by children.
The proper name for the effects of "prism feng shui house paint colors paint," a made up name, is "interference."
- Main article: Pigment
Pigments, usually insoluble powders, are glidden house paint used both to provide color, and to make paint house idea paint opaque, thus protecting the substrate from the harmful effects of ultraviolet light while also increasing a paint's hiding power.
Some pigments are house indoor paint toxic, such as those used in lead paint. Paint manufacturers replaced lead white with house of kolor paint samples a less toxic substitute, which can even be used to color house paint charts food titanium white (titanium dioxide) which was first lifetime house paint used in paints in the 19th century. The titanium white used in most paints paint color for your house today is often coated with silicon or aluminum oxides for better durability.
Some newer paints—called prism paint the interior of a house paint—can produce effects where the color changes depending victorian house paint on the angle (orientation) at which it is viewed. Modern U.S. and Canadian banknotes, specifically the newer 2006 consumer reports on house paints higher denomination notes, have this effect on them. This effect is produced by brick house paint having pigment molecules that are long and thin and are meant to consumer reports for exterior house paint dry in a specific orientation, with different ends of the molecule being different colors.
Paint can be hen house lover paint applied as a solid, a gaseous suspension (aerosol) or a liquid. Techniques vary depending house exterior paint schemes on house paint mixing colors pink&brown= the practical or artistic results desired.
As a solid (usually in industrial and automotive applications), house paint scheme the paint is applied as a very fine powder, then baked at high temperature. This melts the paint house exterior powder and causes it to adhere (stick) to the surface. The reasons sample colors of exterior house paint for doing this involve the chemistries of the paint, the sears house paint surface itself, and perhaps even the chemistry of the substrate (the overall this old house paints object being painted).
As a gas or as a gaseous suspension, the paint is suspended in solid or liquid form in a gas that is sprayed on vintage 1950's house paint an object. bear house paint The paint sticks to the object. The reasons for doing this include:
- the application mechanism best brand house paint is air and thus no solid object ever touches the object being painted;
- the distribution of best house interior paint the paint is very uniform so there are no sharp lines
- it is possible best rated exterior house paint to deliver very small amounts of paint or to paint very slowly;
- a chemical (typically a solvent) can sprayed along with the colors of interior house paint paint to design house paint dissolve together both the delivered paint and the chemicals on the surface of the object being painted;
- some chemical reactions in paint involve the designer house paint exterior orientation of the epoxy house paint paint molecules.
In the liquid application, paint can be applied by direct application using brushes, exterior house paint color schemes paint rollers, blades, other instruments, or body parts. Examples of body parts include fingerpainting, where the exterior house paint combinations paint is applied by hand, whole-body painting (popular in the 1960s avant-garde movement), and cave painting, in exterior house paint software which a pigment (usually finely-ground charcoal) is held in house foundation paint the mouth and spat at a wall (Note: some paints are house of color auto paint toxic and might cause death or permanent injury).
Rollers generally have a handle that allows for different lengths of house of color car paint poles which can be attached to allow house of colors auto paint for painting at different heights. Generally, roller application takes two coats for even color. A roller with a thicker house of kolor automotive paint nap is used to apply house of kolor paint chart paint on uneven surfaces. Edges are often finished with an angled brush.
After liquid paint is applied, there is an interval during which it can house paint brushes be blended with additional painted regions (at the "wet edge") called "open time." The house paint colours open time of an oil or alkyd-based emulsion house paint design paint can be extended by adding white spirit, similar glycols such house paint in australia as Dowanol™ (propylene glycol ether) or commercial open time prolongers. This can house paint program also facilitate the mixing of different wet paint layers for aesthetic effect. Latex and house paint removal acrylic emulsions require the use of drying retardants suitable for water-based how to paint house trim coatings.
Paint may also be applied by flipping the paint, dripping, or by dipping an interior house paints object in paint.
- Primer is a preparatory coating put on materials before painting. milk based house paint Priming ensures better adhesion of paint to the surface, increases paint durability, and provides additional paint colors exterior house painting ideas protection for the material being painted.
- Wood stain is a type of paint that paint interior of a house is very "thin," that is, low in viscosity, and formulated so that protective house paint the pigment penetrates the surface rather than remaining in a film on top of 1953 florida exterior house paint colors the surface. Stain is predominantly pigment or dye and solvent with little binder, brand of house paint designed primarily to add color without providing a surface coating.
- Varnish and shellac provide a protective choosing colors exterior house paint coating without changing the color. They are paints without pigment.
- Lacquer is usually a fast-drying solvent-based choosing exterior house paint paint colonial house paint colors or varnish that produces an especially hard, durable finish.
- An enamel paint is a paint that color exterior house paint dries to an especially hard, usually glossy, finish. Enamel can be made by adding varnish to oil-based paint.
- Inks are similar to paints, consumer best exterior house paint except they are typically consumer reports on house paint made using dyes exclusively (no pigments), and are designed so as not cost house paint to leave a thick film of binder.
- Titanium dioxide is extensively used for exterior house paint color chart both house paint and artist's paint, because it is permanent and has good covering power. Titanium oxide pigment exterior house paint color combinations accounts for the largest use of the element. Titanium paint is an excellent reflector of exterior house paint colors for small houses infrared, and is extensively used in solar observatories where heat causes poor seeing conditions.
- Anti-Graphiti paints are used exterior house paint design to defeat the marking of surfaces by graphiti artists. There are two categories, sacrificial exterior house paint sample and non-bonding. Sacrificial coatings are clear coatings that allow the removal of exterior paint house graphiti, usually by pressure washing the surface with fantastic atmospheric colors to paint your house high-pressure water, removing the graphiti, and the coating happy yellow house paint (hence, sacrificed.) They must be re-applied afterward for continued protection. This is most commonly used on natual-looking masonry surfaces, house manufacturer paint such as statuary and marble walls, and on rougher surfaces that are difficult to house of color paint chips clean. Non-bonding coatings are house of kolor auto paint clear, high-performance coatings, usually catalyzed polyurethanes, that allow the graphiti very little to bond to. After the graphiti is discovered, house of kolor ultra orange pearl paint it can be removed with the use of a solvent house outdoor paint wash, without damaging the underlying substrate or protective coating. These work best when used on house paint gun smoother surfaces, and especially over other painted surfaces, including murals.
- Anti-climb paint is a non-drying paint that appears normal whilst house paint price being extremely slippery. It is usually used on drainpipes and ledges house paint remover to deter burglars and vandals from climbing them, and is found in many how to paint house public places. When a person attempts to i heard you paint house climb objects coated with the paint, it rubs off onto the climber, as long lasting exterior house paint well as making it hard for them to climb.
Cave paintings drawn with red oil paint primer exterior house consumer reports best good and yellow ochre, hematite, manganese oxide and paint brick house charcoal may have been made by early homo sapiens as long as 40,000 years ago.
Ancient painted walls, to be seen at Dendera, Egypt, although exposed for paint colors for historic house many ages paint exterior queenslander house to the open air, still possess a perfect brilliancy of color, as vivid as when painted, perhaps 2000 years ago. The paint outside house Egyptians mixed their colors with some gummy substance, and applied them detached from paints for the house each other without any quality house paint blending or mixture. They appeared to have used six colors: white, black, blue, red, yellow, and green. They first covered the field entirely sherwin high acrylic paint house with white, upon which they traced the design in black, leaving out the lights of sherwin williams high acrylic paint house vinyl acrylic exterior house paint the ground color. They used minium for red, and generally of a dark air house paint guns tinge.
Pliny mentions some painted ceilings in his day in the town of Ardea, which automotive colors house paint had been executed at a date prior to the foundation of Rome. He expresses average cost to paint a house great surprise and admiration at their freshness, after the lapse of so many centuries.
Paint was made with the best green house paint yolk of eggs and therefore, the substance would harden and stick onto the surface applied.
Look up paint in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.
- History of Paint
- 20 recipes choosing an exterior paint color for your house for homemade paint (text)
- Homemade Paint Recipes for Children
- Comparing Commercial Paints FAQ
- The Quest of Purchasing Oil choosing paint color for your house Paints
custom paint house of kolors exterior paint victorian house faux finish house paint pearl powders crystal gold find a colour to paint the house formula for changing house paint colors healthy house paint historic house paint combinations house colors paint
Categories: Articles comparison exterior house paint lacking sources | Accuracy disputes | Coatings | Painting materials | craft house paint by number Matter | Soft matter