"Fridge" redirects here. For other uses, see Fridge (disambiguation).
A refrigerator with its door open
A refrigerator (often called a "fridge" for short) is an appliance for the storage and preservation icee maker of ice cream maker perishable food. One compartment, referred to as a freezer, usually shares space in the unit with another compartment for cold ice cream makers temperatures maintained above freezing. The refrigerator is a ice maker relatively modern invention amongst kitchen appliances. It replaced the common icebox which had been ice makers a household item for almost a century and portable ice maker a half prior, and sometimes is still called by the name "icebox".
Commercial units, which go rival ice cream maker by many other names, were in use portable ice makers for almost 40 years prior to the common home models. The fact that they operated with toxic white mountain ice cream maker ammonia gas systems made them unsafe for home use. Practical household refrigerators were cuisinart ice cream maker introduced in the 1920s and gained wider acceptance in the 1930s as prices fell electric ice cream maker and non-toxic, nonflammable synthetic ice maker for admiral refrigirator refrigerants, such as Freon or R-12 refrigerants were introduced.
- 1 History of development
- 2 The ice maker troubleshooting impact of the ice cream maker electric/manual refrigerator on the home
- 3 How a refrigerator works
- 4 Types
- 5 Features
- 6 Media
- 7 References
- 8 See kenmore ice maker lussino ice cream makers also
- 9 External links
History of residential ice makers development
- See also: Timeline of low-temperature technology
The first known artificial compact ice maker refrigeration was demonstrated by William Cullen at the University of Glasgow in the krups ice cream maker mid 1700s, and relied on the vapor-compression refrigeration process explained by Michael Faraday. Between 1805, donvier ice cream maker when rival ice cream maker recipes Oliver Evans designed the first refrigeration machine that used vapor instead of ge ice maker liquid, and 1902 when Willis Haviland Carrier demonstrated the first air conditioner, scores of inventors contributed home ice makers many small advances in cooling machinery. In 1850 or 1851, Dr. John Gorrie demonstrated an ice maker. In soft serve ice cream maker 1856, James Harrison introduced vapor-compression refrigeration ice tea makers to the brewing and meat packing industries. Other pioneers included Charles Tellier, David Boyle, and Raoul Pictet.
At the start mini ice maker of the 20th Century, about half of households rival ice cream makers in the United States relied on melting ice (and an icebox) dry ice maker to keep food cold, while countertop ice maker the remaining half had no cooled storage at all. The ice used for household storage was expensive because ice had to be ice tea maker cut from winter ponds (or mechanically produced), u-line ice maker parts stored centrally until needed, and delivered regularly.
In a cuisinart ice cream makers few exceptional cases, mechanical refrigeration systems had been adapted by the start of the 20th century for ice cube maker use in the homes of the very wealthy, and might be used for cooling both living compact ice makers and food storage areas. One early system was installed ice makers uk at the mansion of Walter Pierce, an oil company executive.
Marcel Audiffren rival ice cream maker instructions of France championed the idea of white mountain ice cream maker parts a refrigerating machine for cooling and preserving foods at home, and he received U.S. Patents #551,107 (in 1895) nemox ice cream makers and #898,400 (in 1908, home ice maker with Albert Sigrun). These patents were purchased by the American Audiffren Refrigerating Machine Company. Machines based on Audiffren's sulfur dioxide process u-line ice maker were manufactured by General Electric in bravetti ice cream maker Fort Wayne, Indiana and marketed by the Johns Manville Company. deni ice cream maker The first unit was sold in 1911. Audiffren machines were expensive, selling for about ice cream maker ball $1,000 — about twice as much as an automobile.
General Electric sought to develop refrigerators mr coffee ice tea maker of its own, and in 1915 the first Guardian unit was assembled u line ice maker replacement parts in a back yard wash house as a predecessor to the Frigidaire. In 1916 Kelvinator and cuisinart ice cream maker recipes Servel came out with two units among a field of competing models. electric ice cream makers This number increased to scotsman ice makers 200 by 1920. In 1918 Kelvinator had a model with automatic controls.
These home units usually required white mountain ice cream makers the installation of the mechanical parts, motor and compressor, in the basement cuisinart soft serve ice cream maker or an adjacent room while the cold koldfront ultra compact portable ice maker box was located in the kitchen. There was a 1922 model that consisted of a wooden cold box, water-cooled residential built in ice maker compressor, an ice cube tray and a 9 cubic foot compartment counter top ice maker for $714. (A 1922 Model-T Ford cost about $450.) In 1923 Frigidaire ice cream maker recipe introduced the first self-contained unit. About this same time porcelain covered metal ice maker will not make ice cabinets began to appear. Ice cube trays were introduced more and more during the 1920s; up to this rival ice cream maker direction time freezing was not a whynter sno portable ice maker function of the modern refrigerator.
A monitor style (GE format) refrigerator, more like an icebox with its refrigerating mechanisms ice maker installation on a refrigerator on top.
The first refrigerator to see widespread use was the General Electric simac ice cream maker "Monitor-Top" refrigerator introduced in 1927. The compressor assembly, which emitted substantial amount of heat, was placed above the west bend ice tea maker cabinet, and surrounded with a decorative ring. Over 1,000,000 units were produced. wide by side refrigerator ice maker problems This refrigerator used sulfur dioxide refrigerant. Many wood ice cream makers units are still functional today.
The introduction of freon expanded the refrigerator cuisanart ice cream maker market during the 1930s, and freezer units became a little more common and requested during refrigerator ice maker the 1940s. Home units did amana refrigderator hook up for ice maker despensor not go into mass production until after WWII. The 1950s and 60s ice maker water filtration systems saw technical advances like automatic defrosting and automatic ice making. Developments of the 1970s and 80s brought about more efficient refrigerators, and italian ice cream makers environmental issues banned the use of CFC (freon) refrigerants used kenmore ice maker parts in sealed systems.
The impact of the refrigerator on the home
Virtually all homes in the developed world have a refrigerator of oster ice cream maker one kind or another. soft serve ice cream makers The invention of the refrigerator has allowed the modern family to purchase, store, freeze, prepare and windchaser portable ice maker preserve food products in a fresh state for much longer periods of time than was previously possible. For the countertop ice makers majority of families without a sizeable garden deni compressor ice cream maker - 5300 review in which to grow vegetables and raise livestock, the advent of the refrigerator along with ice cream maker review the modern supermarket led to a vastly more varied diet and kitchenaid ice cream maker improved health resulting from improved nutrition. Dairy maytag refrigerator ice maker filter products, meats, fish, poultry and vegetables can all be kept refrigerated in the same space within the kitchen (although counter top ice makers raw meat should deni automatic 1.5 qt ice cream maker be kept separate from other foodstuffs for reasons of hygiene).
The refrigerator allows families to consume more salads, fresh fruits famous maker luxury down blanket ice kin and vegetables during meals without having to own a garden or an orchard. Exotic foodstuffs general electric ice maker from far-off countries that have been imported by means of hoshizaki ice makers refrigeration can be enjoyed in hotpoint refrigerator ice maker repair the home due to the availability of domestic refrigeration.
The luxury of freezing allows households ice maker kenmore refrigerator parts to purchase more foods in bulk that can be eaten kenmore refrigerator ice maker repair manuel at leisure while the bulk purchase provides cost savings (see economies of modular ice maker scale). Ice cream, a popular commodity of the 20th century, was previously only available by traveling long distances to where whynter ic-2l ice cream maker the product was made fresh and ball ice cream maker had to be eaten on the spot. Now it is a practically ubiquitous food item. Ice cuisinart ice cream maker recipe on-demand not only adds to the enjoyment of famous maker luxury down blanket ice twi cold drinks, but is useful in first-aid applications, not to mention franklin ice maker cold packs that can be kept frozen for picnics or in case of emergency.
How a frigidaire refrigerator ice maker refrigerator works
- See also: refrigeration
Refrigerators work by the use of heat pumps operating in a ge refridgerator ice maker flap wont close refrigeration cycle. An industrial refrigerator is simply a refrigerator used hamilton deluxe ice coffee maker in an industrial setting, usually in ice cream maker + recipe a restaurant or supermarket. They may consist of either ice cream maker parts a cooling compartment only (a larger refrigerator) or a freezing compartment only (a freezer) or contain both. The industry has nicknames for these ice maker installation units as well sometimes ice maker problems referring to them as a “cold box” or a “walk-in.” The dual compartment was introduced commercially by General Electric ice maker problems reverse osmosis in 1939.
The vapor kelvinator two door side by side refrigerator with ice maker compression cycle is used in most household refrigerators. In this cycle, a circulating refrigerant such as freon enters the compressor as a kenmore refrigerator ice maker vapor at its boiling point. The vapor is compressed and exits the kitchen aid ice cream maker compressor as a superheated vapor. The manitowoc ice makers superheated vapor travels through part of the condenser which removes the superheat by cooling the vapor. The portable ice maker stainless vapor travels through the remainder of replacement ice makers the condenser and is condensed into a liquid at soft ice cream maker its boiling point. The saturated liquid refrigerant passes through the expansion valve (also called a throttle valve) troubleshooting kenmore refrigerator ice maker where its pressure abruptly decreases. The decrease in pressure results in the flash uline ice maker evaporation and auto-refrigeration of 2 quart ice cream maker recipes a portion of the liquid (typically, less than half of the liquid flashes). The cold and partially vaporized refrigerant travels through automatic ice cream maker the coil or tubes in the evaporator. avanti ice maker There a fan circulates across the coil or tubes, and the refrigerant is totally vaporized, extracting heat from the air continetal electric ice maker which is then returned to cuisinart ice cream maker instruction book the food compartment. The refrigerant vapour returns to the compressor inlet to complete cuisinart ice cream maker manual the thermodynamic cycle.
An absorption refrigerator works differently from a compressor estonia ice kenmore maker refrigerator refrigerator, and typically runs more quietly.
Some refrigerators are now divided into four zones to store everstar ice maker different types of food:
- -18 °C (0 °F) (freezer)
- 0 °C (32 °F) (meats)
- 4 °C (40 homeaid ice cream maker °F) (refrigerator)
- 10 °C (50 ice cream and frozen dessert makers °F) (vegetables)
The capacity of a refrigerator is measured in either liters (EUR) or cubic feet (US). Typically the freezer volume is 100 israel refrigerator ice maker repair liters (3.53 cubic feet) and kitchin aid ice maker replacement the refrigerator 140 liters (4.94 cubic feet), although these values are highly variable.
Temperature settings lid for rival ice cream maker for refrigerator and freezer compartments are often given lussino ice cream maker by musso arbitrary numbers (for example, 1 through 9, warmest to coldest) magic chef counter top ice maker by manufacturers, but generally 3 °C (37 °F) is ideal for the refrigerator compartment and -18 °C manitowoc ice maker (0 °F) for the freezer.
- Counter/cabinet depth: a refrigerator can be approximately 75 cm (30 inches) deep as party ice maker opposed to approximately 90 portable compact ice maker cm (35 inches) deep like a normal refrigerator. This allows the unit to be rival 8804 ice cream maker more flush with surrounding cabinets. A counter depth refrigerator tends to come at a steep price premium despite rival electric ice cream maker providing less capacity;
- Built under: refrigerators and freezers which rival ice cream maker manual can be installed under the counter top. Often strawberry ice cream maker recipe known as a Bar Fridge, it is used in u line ice maker personal bars as a means to cool beverages;
- In-Column refrigerators or freezers: the appliance is built into a tall cabinet under the counter refridgerator with ice maker in the kitchen so that it looks undercounter ice maker like a normal cupboard.
- A "Mini fridge" or a "micro-fridge" (with an attached compact microwave oven) for undercounter ice makers use in a college dormitory or efficiency apartment.
The inside of a refrigerator
Newer refrigerators may include:
- Automatic defrosting: In whirlpool ice maker parts dallas any refrigerator, over time, water vapor in the air condenses onto the cooling 626662 ice maker coils as frost, cook's essentials ice cream maker eventually building up into a thick layer of ice. This ice acts as an insulator, reducing crunchy ice maker cooling efficiency. In the past, the ice was removed by periodically emptying the refrigerator and turning it cuisinart ice cream maker instructions off to let the ice melt, perhaps aided by hot water applied cuisinart supreme ice cream maker by the user. In a refrigerator equipped for frost-free operation, however, famous maker luxury down blanket ice que a heater and a thermostat are fitted around the cooling coils. The cooling flaked ice maker is periodically switched off (with frigidaire refrigerator ice maker kit the period varying between every 6 to 24 hours depending on the ge ice makers model) and the heater is turned on until the temperature hamilton beach 4 quart capacity ice cream maker around the coils slightly exceeds the freezing point of water, after which normal cooling resumes. This melts any frost which has ice cream maker as seen on tv collected around the coils and prevents ice from building up. Melt water typically drains ice cream maker reviews into a tray ice cream recipes using ice cream maker at the bottom of the refrigerator from which it is then evaporated by the air flow across the ice maker for frigidaire refrigerator condenser coil.
- A power failure warning, alerting the im 34 frigidaire refrigerator ice maker user by flashing a temperature display. The maximum temperature reached during the power failure may be displayed, ireland dometic ice maker refrigerator repair rv along with information on whether the frozen food has defrosted or may contain harmful kitchenaid ice cream maker attachment for stand mixer bacteria;
- Chilled water and ice available kitchenaid ice maker from an in-door station, so the door need not manitowoc 130 ice makers be opened;
- A Status Indicator to notify the user when it is time change the water filter;
- An in-door ice caddy, which relocates the personal ice maker ice-maker storage to the freezer door and saves approximately 60 portugal dometic ice maker refrigerator repair rv litres (about 2 cubic feet) of usable freezer space. It is repair amana refrigerator ice maker also removable, and helps to prevent ice-maker clogging;
- A cooling zone in the refrigerator door scotsman model afe400-1a ice maker shelves. Air from the freezer section is signature ice maker replacement part diverted to the refrigerator door, to better table top ice maker cool milk or juice stored in the door shelf;
- An LCD suggesting what types of food should be stored at what temperatures, and the whynter ice cream maker expiration date amana ice maker of the food stored;
- Extras unrelated to refrigeration, such as a television set built into a amana ice maker line door.
An increasingly important environmental concern is the disposal of old refrigerators - initially because amana refrigerator repair parts for ice maker of the freon coolant damaging the ozone layer, but as the older generation of aroma 1 quart ice cream maker instruction manual refrigerators disappears it is the electric skillet and ice cream maker destruction of CFC-bearing insulation which causes concern. Modern refrigerators usually use a refrigerant called freezer ice maker HFC-134a (1,2,2,2-tetrafluoroethane) instead of freon, which has no ozone layer depleting properties.
Disposal of discarded refrigerators is regulated, often ge refrigerator ice maker repair mandating the removal of doors: children playing hide-and-seek have greenway portable ice maker been asphyxiated while hiding inside a discarded hoshizaki ice maker sales refrigerator. This was particularly true for the older models that had latching doors. More modern units use a how to clean an ice maker in a refrigerator magnetic door gasket to hold the door sealed ice cube makers but can actually be pushed open from the inside. However, children can be unwittingly harmed by hiding inside any discarded ice maker cold water dispenser refrigerator.
ice maker with water dispenser
1953 Philco refrigerator ad. Note freezer compartment located within ice makers machine larger refrigerator unit. Units with completely-separate freezer compartments did not become the standard until the mid 1960s.
- ^ Pauken, refridgerator with ice maker Mike, P.E. (1999). Sleeping Soundly on Summer Nights (pdf). series on HVAC&R arts and sciences. ASHRAE. Retrieved on 2006-08-26.
- ^ Adams, refrigerator water filters for whirlpool ice maker Cecil (2005). Is it impossible to open a refrigerator door from switzerland kenmore refrigerator ice maker the inside?. tennessee kenmore refrigerator ice maker Retrieved on 2006-08-31.
- Einstein refrigerator
- Gas absorption refrigerator
- Pot-in-pot refrigerator
- Refrigerator car
- Refrigerator magnet
- Star rating
- Thermoacoustic refrigeration
Wikimedia Commons west bend 3 qt. ice tea maker has media related to:
- History of the Refrigerator - Gizmohighway Technology Guide
- Refrigeration History
- How Refrigerators Work Article by HowStuffWorks
- The History of the Refrigerator and Freezers
- How does a gas-powered fridge actually work (without compressor - using heater to power the heat transfer cycle)
- Refrigerators, by Glenn Elert
- Refrigerators, Canada Science and Technology Museum
Categories: Home appliances | Heat pumps